Two views on Prog. Talk

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Apr 1 14:25:40 EST 2005

At 02:18 PM 4/1/2005 -0500, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>Scott: I'm pretty sure that CCU also owns 910 KNEW, which, like 960 KQKE, is
>licensed to Oakland. KNEW is now running 20 kW-D/5 kW-N DA-2, whereas KQKE
>runs 5 kW DA-1. Both are good signals, and before 910's daytime upgrade, had
>very similar in coverage, although 910 was ND days when its D power was 5
>kW. I would say that the daytime upgrade clearly made 910 the better of the
>two facilities, but nobody should have expected CCU to move the conservative
>talk from 910 to 960 so it could put progressive talk on 910. If I'm not
>mistaken, 910 picked up Savage when ABC's 560 KSFO dropped him.

You're right - I was thinking about 910 on its old facilities, which were
slightly less advantageous than 960, at least in the South Bay, because the
transmitter site is considerably to the north. (960's at the Bay Bridge
toll plaza, 910's up in the Emeryville area). With the power increase on
910, it's a somewhat better facility - and yes, there's no reason to have
expected CCU to have made that swap. And yes, Savage is now on 910. (IIRC,
ABC dropped him on KSFO after he left WABC for WOR in New York.)