NY Times Jr. Cops Out

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 01:46:37 EDT 2004

Perhaps what they meant by "public" radio stations is NPR affiliates.

WRIU, and most other non-comms in RI, are student programmed
college stations. There are no other NPR affiliates, and the WRNI
donors, who are now angry because they feel that their contributions
were in vain, contributed specifically toward NPR programming (and
"NPR style" local programming for RI from WBUR) on WRNI/WXNI.

Though Rhode Island has other technically "public" stations, it has
no other outlets for the NPR programming that was on WRNI/WXNI.
Those listeners/contributors are not looking for college student radio.

Eli Polonsky