music and politics on radio

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sun Sep 19 22:57:23 EDT 2004

On 19 Sep 2004 at 22:13, Donna Halper wrote:

> First, a belated Happy New Year to Scott and other Jewish
> list-members.

And the same to you.

> Second, that's a very interesting point.  For some people, they really
> do wanna hear Christian music.  For others (including some of my
> friends who are Christian), they don't like anything that preaches or
> has a religious message. They come to mainstream pop radio to get away
> from anything with a religious message, even though some songs may
> have a spiritual side to them-- but as long as the song doesn't preach,
> it's not a tuneout to my secular friends.

Interesting.  Seems to me that back in the Golden Age of Rock & Roll, there were songs
with overt preaching.  I remember "Three Bells," about Jimmy Brown ("And the little
congregation, prayed for guidance from above, ..."), the Deck of Cards, where the soldier was
in trouble for opening a deck of cards in church, and I'm sure there were others.Not to
mention all the Christmas music, even religious Christmas music, on pop stations.