music and politics on radio

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sun Sep 19 22:06:23 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
To: "Daniel Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; "Donna Halper"
<dlh@donnahalper.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: music and politics on radio

> I think there's a very clear distinction there, though. If I understand
> right (and I openly admit not having heard a single Beanie Man song), the
> song lyrics themselves were advocating violence against gays. To my mind,
> that's a rather big leap from the issue Donna raises,

There is a difference but the people advocating that he be boycotted are not
just suggesting that the offending songs be boycotted but that the artist be
banned entirely.

Then there is Eminem.  He has songs with anti-gay lyrics but Elton John
played with him and all is forgotten.  If you are a big enough star, you can
get away with it.