music and politics on radio

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@myway.com
Sun Sep 19 17:30:29 EDT 2004

>> My vague recollection is that Hynde was told that she had no control over the licensing of that song, having signed those rights away with the recording contract.

Someone on Free Republic mentioned that her parents were a bit more to the right than she and were perhaps Limbaugh listeners so she
reluctantly agreed to let it be. Not sure if it's true.

>> I, too go to a concert for music and not for political polemics.

Though I'm sure there are concerts for certain candidates (or
against certain positions) like the Rock For Change tour, and
it's hoped that everyone who attends know what they're in for.
They mostly likely agree with the candidate or issue. I think the
Rock for Change tour doesn't necessarily endorse Kerry, but it's
against Bush. (Leaving room for those who might wish to vote
for Nader, for example, to support it.)

Yes, nothing wrong with artists feeling passionately about
candidates or causes. Though conservatives had to chuckle
when Barbra Streisand's website turned into a political blog
of sorts (she mispelled the name of one-time candidate Dick
Gephardt, for one thing). Some fans of Pearl Jam were outraged
when the lead singer burned an effigy of Bush on stage. They
walked out.

Lest we think that rock (etc.) musicians are only left-wing, there are some on the other side, including Ted Nugent ("Kill It Then
Grill It Cookbook"--he's no vegan), Charlie Daniels, Toby
Keith, and even some members of the Ramones and some punk bands
are said to be right-wing. (The late Johnny Ramone was said
to be conservative, as stated in the recent obit for him.)