The Mouse Strictly Analog (For Now)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Sep 14 17:22:43 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Lehmann" <jjlehmann@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:08:43 -0400
To: <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>
Subject: RE: The Mouse Strictly Analog (For Now)

> I see their audio is still VERY narrow. When I listen on my Radio Shack
> TM-152, they sound a whole lot worse than even most other mono stations.
>
> Jeff Lehmann
> Hanson, MA

Today (09/14) as I drove home, I tuned first to WMKI then to WKBR
at the intersection of routes 128 and 93 north.  I noticed that
AM 1260 sounded weaker than usual at this point about 15 miles ot so north
of their transmitter site in N. Quincy. Then I tuned in to WKBR,
and it came in with minimal splattering from WMKI;  I was able to
make out what Hannity was saying clearly...WMKI usually
obliterates WKBR at this point.   Thus I believe it's possible
they're using an auxiliary transmitter for now, while they
operate on their main unit.  We shall see.
Now this would not normally be of interest because WMKI
is a minor(!) player in the Boston market (no 12+ ratings
to speak of since their target audience is 12-and-under);
but it could be the introduction of IBOC HD in a crowded portion
of the dial daytimes.  If WMKI goes HD seriously a la WBZ,
it could have an effect on WKBR, WARE, WTSN, maybe even WESX!