WDRC-FM drops "Oldies" for "Big Hits"

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 02:07:24 EDT 2004

The term "oldies" never really fit in Hartford.  WDRC-FM only used it
for the last few years.  Prior to that, the station was known for many
years as "Big D 103" which was spun off from the original slogan their
old AM Top 40 format used in the 60's, "Hartford's Big D."  I never
understood why they dropped "Big D 103" in the first place.  That term
was well branded in the market.  People knew the station played oldies
music, and could locate it on the dial.  WDRC-FM never really got any
ratings spike by switching to "Oldies 102.9."  Their identity has been
unclear and they blew off some of their heritage when they made the
change.  By switching to "Big Hits" it's somewhat closer to their old
slogan, plus it gets rid of the ineffective "oldies" term--at least in
Hartford.

I doubt that WODS will drop their moniker anytime soon.  They seem to
have a steady listening audience and their branding is
well-established.  It works for Boston, and unless the station
experiences major ratings erosion, I can't see Infinity messing with
the name.

--Dave