WGIR: ESPN Sox coverage instead of Joe and Jerry?

Keith Fornal kfornal@verizon.net
Sun Oct 24 13:29:43 EDT 2004

In Providence, the ESPN feed aired on WSKO AM/FM as well as WPRO each with
their own separate local spots.

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
David Tomm
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 11:23 AM
To: WCTB-FM/WHQO-FM/WSKW-AM
Cc: bri@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: WGIR: ESPN Sox coverage instead of Joe and Jerry?

The reason you got the ESPN feed is because ESPN owns the broadcast
rights to the World Series.  The flagship stations of each team are
allowed to use their own announcers, in this case WEEI and KMOX/St.
Louis, but everyone else gets ESPN.  In Providence, WPRO-AM is a Red
Sox affiliate, but WSKO-AM & FM in that market aired the game instead
because that station is an ESPN radio affiliate.  My guess is that most
Sox affiliates got to air the ESPN feed with only a few exceptions.

As far as the "quality" of the WEEI pre-game programming, I can't
answer to that.  However, the commercial clocks did seem different than
their usual programming, probably because they had to air some ESPN
network spots as part of their arrangement so that Joe and Jerry could
air the game in Boston.  I'm sure WEEI will iron out some of the
technical glitches before tonight's game.  Or maybe not.......

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"