WGIR: ESPN Sox coverage instead of Joe and Jerry?

WCTB-FM/WHQO-FM/WSKW-AM maine.radio@verizon.net
Sun Oct 24 08:08:24 EDT 2004

Hey, I'm an affiliate, and I'm not even clear on what the reason is. As I
understand it, though, it's always been that way. The theory I've heard is
that it's due to contractual obligations between MLB and ESPN, but seems to
me WEEI also benefits from not having to set aside local avails on the
network.

What you were listening to lass night likely was WEEI's network feed. 'EEI
offered (and we carried) coverage starting at 6:30: a half hour of talk (no
local avails) and then the extended pre-game we had for the playoffs. At
7:30, with an audible pop as the switch was thrown, WEEI started feeding us
ESPN's pregame.

I have to say, I'm just a little disappointed with 'EEI on this, not because
we're getting ESPN's play-by-play, which is beyond their control, but
because of what we did get from WEEI: The hour of coverage which originated
from their studios didn't follow their format and had local spots and WEEI
promos in network positions. Additionally, we were informed with minimal
notice that there would be no automation closures for the game.

-J.