Cities where a format dominates?

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 02:53:32 EDT 2004

Funny, that's not how a lot of these stations are marketed to the
advertising community.  Groups like Univision and SBS are considered
"Hispanic broadcasters." They specialize in Spanish language formats.
While Univision does have some English language stations in their
portfolio, their mission is to reach Spanish speaking audiences, just
as Radio One exists as a specialty group targeting African American
radio listeners.  To them, Spanish is a "format," with different
offshoots of it to reach different demos.

You talk about the diversity of "English language" formats.  This
really does not exist in Hispanic broadcasting.  There are basically
three major formats targeting Hispanics--Contemporary, which tends to
be more AC-ish in nature, Regional Mexican targeted to Spanish speakers
of Mexican descent, and Tropical, which caters to Hispanics with
Caribbean heritage.  A few markets have Spanish news-talk stations, but
that format really hasn't done all that well. There is the same amount
of "flavors" of Spanish language stations as there are with Urban
stations (Urban AC, Urban Oldies, Urban Contemporary.) Like Hispanic
radio, stations targeting African Americans tend to be lumped into one
classification. Both Urban and "Spanish" target specific minority
groups, which are only the majority in a handful of markets.  Why
should Spanish language stations, at least at this point in their
development, be categorized any differently than Urban stations?

--Dave
"Mike Thomas"