WGAN radio may drop Rather

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Fri Oct 1 00:29:32 EDT 2004

On 30 Sep 2004 at 2:07, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> There has been no evidence to show that he "dodged" his NG service.

Only on Fox News has there been no evidence.

> Dan Rather took to the air with forged documents to attempt to discredit
> the president.
>
> No matter who set it up or why....the journalist failed to do his
> job...and the stakes were pretty high.

That is quite true.  If CBS was set up (and so far, this is only speculation), they allowed
themselves to be set up by their sloppiness.

I've been trying to figure out who could possibly be dumb enough to forge an early 1970s
memo using Microsoft Word with Times New Roman font.  If it wasn't a deliberate setup, I'd
guess it was someone who was too young to remember typewriters.  And maybe it got by
CBS News because the only ones who looked at the document were just as young.

Hell, if you want to forge a 1970s document with Word, you should use Courier.

> And this is just the latest of many "Ratherisms".
> End result...Dan Rather and CBS have hurt their credibility.

I won't disagree with that.  I remember one evening during the first Gulf War, after the first
Scud missile attacks on Israel, Dan Rather reported that an Israeli retaliation was under way.
 The other networks were saying nothing about it.  It wasn't so.  Eventually, Rather simply
stopped talking about it.  No retraction, no statement that it wasn't so, they just stopped
talking about it.