WPLM AM & FM

Mark Springer mark.springer@gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 22:34:44 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:33:44 -0500, Paul B. Currier
<paulcurrier@adelphia.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark.....and so am I.....
>
> I was a long time long ago listener to WPLM (We Play Lovely Music) also.
> During the Gary Collard times they were not a format station as far as I
> could determine.  Steven Horatio Coleman on Sunday Mornings was my favorite
> listen of the week on 'PLM.  I think these folks and their comtemporaries
> were playing what they wanted to play within guidelines as they were able to
> and did enjoy and converse quite intelligently about their music.

Steve Coleman got his start in high school doing stats for Doug
Edwards' Blue Eagles football and basketball calls. Doug was one of my
High School science teachers. I spent more time drawing pictures of
boards in that class than I did learning science.
Is Steve now with the AP, does anyone know?
When I was listening and hanging around - early 60's till I jgraduated
and oined the Coast Guard in 1974, the station couldn't have been more
"formatted," so to speak, music wise.
"With News Every Hour and on the Half Hour" and  "The Radio Voice of
America's Hometown" were a couple of the taglines.
Some of the programming included birth announcements from Jordan
Hospital -  the "Pink and Blue Report" which Gary Collard did during
his "Two Cups of Coffee" program every morning.
There was also the "Cape Cod Hour" which was fed via the company
two-way from Hyannis- the talent (a woman, I forget her name) while
the Plymouth studio played the tunes and spots.
The news was rip and read - I remember hearinig my only flash bells on
the UPI teletype (okay, how many bells was a FLASH? You know you
know!) for an Appolo launch, I think.
I would go up to the station after school  and would walk to catch the
P&B bus home (I missed it a couple of times much to the chagrin of my
poor mom who would have to come get me- a long way from North Plymouth
to Manomet) and I would tear up the news for the air guy and just bask
in the atmosphere of the studio (literally atmosphere- air conditioned
cigarette smoke LOL).
Jack was always this unnaproachable guy to me but Mike Rizzmini and
Moon were always cool. Mike did CMS stuff and Moon was the jack of al
ltrades around the place.
Jane Day was always nice, when she was around. She did a lot of ads,
as I recall as well as having her own programs, i think.
Some of you Mass types probaly remember Johm McCloughlin, Registrar of
Motor Vehicles. When I was a kid the myth was a Registry cop had the
power to just tear up a Statie's license and drive off and the MSP
trooper would be stuck. Anyway, supposedly (Maybe I saw it, maybe I
didn't :) ) the Registrar was a regular at Jack's Friday night poker
games. All I know is, there were a LOT of used Bicycle decks in the
music library!
The memories are coming back, so I guess I'll have some more soon.
Mark Springer