Dean Johnson gets shafted

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sun Nov 28 13:13:27 EST 2004

>From: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>
>To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
>Subject: Dean Johnson gets shafted
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:59:26 -0500

> Okay fine, now I've heard everything.  I think we would all agree, no
> matter what our political persuasions, that Dean Johnson, the media critic
> for the Boston Herald, has always been fair and unlike a certain former
> columnist for the Globe, he is pretty accurate.  I just heard from Dean
> (we've been friends for years) and he is really upset-- they've cancelled
> his radio column and after 20 years of doing it, I fail to see why it got
> the axe.  Lord knows there is plenty to write about, especially given how
> important radio has become in the political scene and how much news about
> radio has made all the various media outlets this year.  One would think
> the Herald would respect Dean's expertise-- but evidently 20 years of doing
> a good job doesn't mean much at the Herald... [rant mode off]
>

>OK, this takes away the reason for ever buying the Herald.  Wait a
minute, I never BUY the Herald, I've got a greay deal going at
work: I give the sports section of the Globe to a co-worker, and when
he's done with it, he gives me a whole Herald in return.
But anyway, this is art of a pattern...the Herald axed Monica Collins'
TV columns, though she pulled a Dan Rather and lingered for a while
with a once-a-week "metropolitan" column.  Now she does similar duty
for the Globe's Sunday magazine.  Apparently the Herald distrusts the printed
WORD, and wants only headline writers now.