Election coverage

tony schinella radiotony@comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 06:56:34 EST 2004

A couple of things. First, keeping with the radio
list theme, Donna asked what people's thoughts
were about Air America. Here is a good example of
how they, liberal bloggers, and Web sites, are
shaping the news or at least attempting to
influence the news. While conservative radio hosts
are talking about Bush's mandate and Arlen
Specter's liberal tendencies, AA and others are
questioning machine problems and vote results.
Some of the non-news orgs have raised some
interesting questions about the results.
But legit news orgs are finally talking about
machine problems: 4,000 votes unaccounted for in
Sharon, Penn., machines problems in Charlotte,
10,000 ballots thrown out in New Mexico, Columbus,
Ohio machines showing skewered numbers, in
counties throughout Florida, results for president
added up to more votes than actual ballots cast,
tens of thousands of votes disappear from machines
in LaPorte County, Ind., more than 10,000 extra
votes in Sarpy County, Neb., etc. I don't believe
that all of it is fraud but since no one can look
inside the machines and many of these states don't
have non-candidate recount laws, no one will ever
really know.
However, on a political note, the election
shouldn't be over yet. In Ohio, more than 92,000
punch-card ballots were note counted, according to
Cleveland Plains Dealer. More than 155,000
provisional ballots have yet to be counted, if
they ever will be. Kerry lost by less than 70,000
votes [Bush's 136,000 lead dropped to
133,000-change due to a machine glitch]. Do the
math. Sure, Kerry has to win 75 percent of the
punch-card ballots to win but that isn't
impossible.
After promising to make sure every vote was
counted, Kerry conceded. It was a big mistake.

Best,
Tony Schinella
radiotony@comcast.net
http://politizine.blogspot.com