Air America

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Wed Nov 10 01:29:14 EST 2004

On 9 Nov 2004 at 1:24, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> The accepted practice is to put them in a machine and let the machine
> count them.  That's how we determine the voters intention.

No it is not.  The accepted practice is to count the ballots accurately.

For example, in the 1996 Democratic primary in the 10th Congressional District in
Massachusetts, a number of ballots, mostly in Weymouth, were not counted by the machine
because of hanging chads.  The result was that Phillip Johnston was declared the winner.
His opponent, William Delahunt, brought suit, and the Supreme Judicial Court ruled that if
the machines didn't count those ballots, they were to be counted by hand.  It also ruled that
a vote should be recorded for a candidate if a discernable stylus impression was made on or
near the chad for that candidate, even though the chad was not removed.  The Court
concluded:

"We find unpersuasive Johnston's contention that many voters started to express a
preference in the congressional contest, made an impression on a punch card, but pulled the
stylus back because they really did not want to express a choice on that contest. The large
number of ballots with discernible impressions makes such an inference unwarranted,
especially in a hotly contested election.

"It is, of course, true that a voter who failed to push a stylus through the ballot and thereby
create a hole in it could have done a better job of expressing his or her intent. Such a voter
should not automatically be disqualified, however, like a litigant or one seeking favors from
the government, because he or she failed to comply strictly with announced procedures. The
voters are the owners of the government, and our rule that we seek to discern the voter's
intention and to give it effect reflects the proper relation between government and those to
whom it is responsible."