29th Anniversary

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 12:44:38 EST 2004

On 11/8/04 1:47 PM, "Cooper Fox" <fox893@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Oddly enough, I heard that song for the first time in
> several years just last night.  It was on WFNK Frank
> FM in Portland.  Great tune...  And, with the
> exception of Sundown, probably his only known song.

"If You Could Read My Mind" was a #5 national pop hit in
1971, still occasionally played on Oldies stations (WODS),
Classic Hits stations (WROR, WBOQ), soft AC stations (WMJX,
etc...) and Easy Listening stations (WPLM, WJIB).

"Carefree Highway" (#10, 1974) also still pops up once in
a while these days, I've also heard it on WJIB.

Lightfoot has also written songs that have become standards
in folk music circles, such as his 1964 "Early Morning Rain",
which was covered by dozens of folk artists including Dylan.

Eli Polonsky