Air America

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Nov 6 14:04:40 EST 2004

Dan S wrote--
>Maybe the people who CAN discern the difference have simply
>deserted the AM band for NPR.

Alas, for those who value hearing both sides, NPR has slid a bit more
towards the right, for reasons I can certainly understand-- their funding
depends on making nice to the party in power.  Republican conservatives
have long tried to hold up that funding.  So now, both NPR and PBS are
giving more thorough coverage to the president and to issues near and dear
to Republicans.  It was NPR that aired day after day of interviews with
Conservative Christians during the campaign, including an hour interview
with the film-maker who made a documentary equating Mr Bush with Jesus (a
film reviewed sent to thousands of churches, btw).  I am not saying there
is anything wrong with covering the conservative right wing, but contrary
to the myth of the "liberal media", if you listened to NPR during the
campaign, and many content analyses were done, coverage of Bush and
coverage of Kerry were equal in terms of minutes aired, and coverage of
Bush was much more thorough than in the previous election.  I'm sure the
folks in congress will still complain, but if their goal was to get NPR to
become more centrist and less leftist, I believe they succeeded.