Time for Rather to go?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Thu Nov 4 16:34:20 EST 2004

>From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
>To: "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@lycos.com>
>Subject: Time for Rather to go?
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:03:14 -0500 (EST)

> I spent a bit of time watching Rather's coverage on Tuesday night and
> was pretty convinced myself that it was time for him to hang up the
> cans.  The only trouble is: does CBS have anyone in the wings who is
> actually good enough to win back the audience that Rather lost?  I'm
> not too high on J.D.^H^H^H^HJohn Roberts; he just seems too bland.
>
> -GAWollman

The question now may be:  is it time to replace the old model of the
broadcast network anchor (dictionary definition..."dead weight")
with the B.B.C. model of the news reader?  When the Ratherism-spouter
sinks beneath the waves of time, maybe CBS could rebrand the program
not as "The CBS Evening News with Dan Rather", but just:
"The CBS Evening News" period.  Whether it's Scott Pelly,
John Roberts, or even some female(!), he or she could be the regular
reader.  Then when that person is away for whatever reason,
the Voice-over guy would NOT say "sitting in for..."
I always thought it was ridiculous for the Voice-over guy to
use that language on weekends;  does anybody care that so-and-so
is sitting in for John Siegenthaler(sp?) on a Saturday night?
That should be the model for whoever immediately replaces
Rather.  NBC probably won't do that decause they're furiously
promoting Brian Williams, and it looks as though A'boot-man isn't
departing ABC any time soon.