WWZN to restructure Celtics rights?

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Thu May 27 13:05:50 EDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:42:12, Hakim Madjid wrote:
> Actually the WWZN situation probably could work out.
> As commentators, such as John Molori and Mark Shneyder
> have written, any existing or new ownership at 1510
> would have to devote substantial financial resources
> to the station (for talent and promotion...etc).
>
> Also, IMHO, if the figures that have been posted on
> various on-line forums are true - that of a $25,000
> per month lease ($300,000 per anum) for the
> transmitter/tower site in that Belmont/Waltham town
> line office park - that transmitter / tower facility
> has to be moved to less expensive digs.

The problem is, as Dan Strassberg has explained before, that there is nowhere
that would be suitable to move the transmitter site to without filing for a
major change -- and who knows when another major change window will open up.

The only place 1510 could move to, retain an OK signal over the metro area and
potentially chop down on the rent would be the 1120 site in Concord. When I
asked on this list about that, Dan told me a COL change to somewhere like
Belmont or Lexington would probably be needed. Also, I don't think the
1150/1470 site would work; even if it did the short-spacing between 1470 and
1510 could be problematic, from what engineering people like Dan have said
regarding other similar projects.