New "Jay" in Town

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu May 27 08:01:12 EDT 2004

  A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>But if starting over is what is desired, why not do it by adopting the
>digital radio standards of
>the rest of the world, give every station a channel on the digital band,
>and stop this IBOC
>foolishness?

First of all, the band being used in Europe for DAB is used by the military
here, and they don't want to give it up.  Also, a new band might actually
result in all stations having equal power/coverage.  That wouldn't sit well
with the owners of the big signals.

It would make a lot more sense to do it this way, which is why we'll
probably never see it.  Sigh.