Accepting the Nomination

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Tue May 25 01:32:00 EDT 2004

On 24 May 2004 at 5:05, Sean Smyth wrote:

> What I've heard no one else mention, other than Tim Russert on Meet the
> Press, is the fact that if Kerry doesn't accept the nomination the event
> pretty much loses all its newsworthy value; apparently Republicans have
> said they will demand equal time of "political rallies" if that's the
> case.

I don't see why the event would lose its newsworthy value.  Since no decisions are made at
the political conventions anyway, and press coverage has consequently been diminished
from what it used to be, I don't really see what the difference is.  Kerry will still, apparently,
make a speech, but will just not utter the words "I accept your nomination."

For that matter, there is precedent for that, too.  John F. Kennedy was nominated on a
Wednesday evening.  Acceptance speeches were scheduled for Friday.  Kennedy came to
the convention on Thursday, before the vice presidential balloting, arrived at the rostrum, and
said, "Under the rules of this convention, I cannot give you an answer to your nomination
until tomorrow evening.  But I think you know what that anwer will be."

And just what is different about the Republican convention?  Does it become anything more
than a big political rally, just because Bush says the words "I accept your nomination"?

Back in 1964, we all knew that LBJ was going to be the Democratic nominee, but there was
at least some suspense at the convention because LBJ didn't announce his choice for vice
president until Thursday evening. He, too, incidentally, addressed the convention the day
before his acceptance speech, to announce his choice of "Senator 'ubert 'umphrey of
Minnesota"