Anti-satellite radio ad

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Mar 19 17:05:01 EST 2004

>DATE: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:34:15
>From: Richard Chonak <rac@gabrielmass.com>
>To: BRI <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>

>I was happy enough with Sirius to renew for another year, but of course
>nothing's perfect.  Here are my nitpicks:
>
>   -- The PSAs on the news channels are repetitive and condescending:
>      getting told for the 215th time to fight housing discrimination
>      and child abuse is a bit much.   I think the ad agencies must
>      be making PSAs annoying on purpose so that commercials will
>      come off better by comparison!   Aren't there some old PSAs they
>      could re-run just for the sake of variety?

Something similar happens in the early morning on WBZ-TV's
(remember WBZ-TV?) pickup of the CBS Morning News.
There's a PSA for AIDS awareness they play EVERY SINGLE
DAY!  It shows a typical middle-class neighborhood in the
USA, and as the person speaking drives along, she  counts
the number of people in each house who have died there from AIDS;  it's supposed
to give viewers an idea of what it would be like if
this country had the same kind of AIDS epidemic as Africa.
Whatever the value of the point, the constant repetition
induces the numbness it's trying to counteract.

Laurence Glavin