WSYY Tower in Jeopardy

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Mar 11 08:30:58 EST 2004

Cooper Fox wrote:

>WSYY's appeal is that it is THE hometown station for
>that area.  Like WHOU in Houtlon(ME), WFAD in
>Middlebury(VT) and WMWV in Mt Washington Valley(NH) is
>the station that everyone turns to for cancellations
>and local sports.  If ran right, it really doesn't
>need to get into Bangor.

IIRC, a similar situation happened in the mid-80s to WOTW in Nashua, where
the land at the studio/tx site was being sold, and the station didn't have
the resources to find a new site.  The stations were dark for several
years.  Guess this is why you get a guaranteed renewal on a tx site lease.

I'd be curious as to why the land owner is so adamantly opposed to selling
the land to the station, or even giving a lease extension beyone 1
year.  Sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye.  Almost sounds
like personal bad blood.  Are there separate AM & FM sites, or are they
co-located?  I'm not familiar with the area, and the article was a bit
confusing on this.