WLIB flagship of Air America

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Mar 3 14:56:43 EST 2004

At 01:03 PM 3/3/2004 -0500, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Sean Smyth wrote:
>
> > Is WWRL (1600) all talk now?
>
>Legitimate talk in the mornings, drivetime and a little bit in the
>evenings.  Surrounded by brokered quack bull crap.  A little bit of Carib
>music on the weekends (all gospel & religion on Sundays).
>

> > As I'm sure some will note, at the expense of WOWO (at least at night).
>
>Oh yes.  WOWO in its day (pre 24 hour WLIB) was a wonderful station for
>overnight programming.  Not anymore.  WLIB at least was local with live
>jocks.

But it bears noting that WOWO's not what it used to be, either. NOTHING
local there overnight anymore - just the usual birdfeed talk overnight
without even a local news presence. It still covers its home market
(better, in fact, than many of us doomsayers predicted a decade ago), but
it's not doing anything overnight that isn't already available on other
frequencies outside the market. And by the time the local morning show
comes on, it's back up to 50kW and still blanketing the region like it used to.