WLIB flagship of Air America

Sven Franklyn Weil sven@gordsven.com
Wed Mar 3 13:03:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Sean Smyth wrote:

> Is WWRL (1600) all talk now?

Legitimate talk in the mornings, drivetime and a little bit in the
evenings.  Surrounded by brokered quack bull crap.  A little bit of Carib
music on the weekends (all gospel & religion on Sundays).

> As I'm sure some will note, at the expense of WOWO (at least at night).

Oh yes.  WOWO in its day (pre 24 hour WLIB) was a wonderful station for
overnight programming.  Not anymore.  WLIB at least was local with live
jocks.

Unfortunately there have been lots of budget cuts at WLIB.  Something I
don't quite understand because sister station WBLS-FM 107.5 is doing great
(with the only non-local shift being morning drive).

Something makes me smell mis-management at WLIB.....the station HAS
potential....unfortunately, like what happened with WEVD 1050, the drive
build wasn't there.  It was just easier to sell to a bird-dropping (ESPN)
and take the cash and run.

--
Sven