A Horse is a Horse?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jun 30 08:32:50 EDT 2004

>>If we were to carry the point further, many "mainstream" companies today were pushed into wartime service for Hitler.  I believe that Siemens along with many other well known brands produced from him.  Many, and I think that VW and Mercedes were on this list, used conscripted concentration camp labor.<<

They did because they had no choice.  As is true in most dictatorships, all German labor was nationalized under the Deutcshe Arbeits Front (German Labor Front).  If an industrial producer such as Volkswagen (which produced jeeps, amphibious vehicles and small airplane engines during the war) needed more laborers, they could not hire those laborers themselves...they had to request laborers from the DAF and had to take the people they were given.

What gives me the shivers is to see in the Boston area trucks from an elevator service firm known as Thyssen-Krupp.  Fritz Thyssen and Alfred Krupp were two of the industrialists who bankrolled Hitler in his early years as dictator, in the hopes that they could control him later on.  IIRC, both were convicted as war criminals and were hanged.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WQSX - WRKO - WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor