Air America--ever in Boston?

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Tue Jun 22 07:58:59 EDT 2004

  Mark Laurence wrote:

>lThey're gone now, and if you listen to the
>network, you hear an impressive array of national advertisers.  Rhodes
>says they're doing radio the "old fashioned way" now, by selling time
>and paying the bills.  On the air, it sounds like she's right.
>Apparently advertisers are impressed by the early New York numbers, by
>the very large number of listeners to the streaming audio, and by the
>attractive demos the network is drawing.  Time will tell, of course.

I read somewhere that the trends for May were pretty inimpressive, leading
one to believe that those April numbers were either curiosity or a
fluke.  The fact that they're even counting streaming audio shows how
desperate they are (and they're in even rougher shape than it looks on the
surface if that's a significant part of their audience).  If the -really-
wanted to do it the "old fashioned way" they'd have started small,
concentrating their efforts on one or 2 TALENTED and ENTERTAINING (key
words here) hosts, gotten themselves established and built from there.  Of
course this takes time and a lot of work, neither of which they seem to
want to spend.

>Rhodes also said the Guam investors were Republicans who infiltrated
>Air America.  Sure enough, the Chicago Tribune, reporting last April
>when Evan Cohen moved to the top at AA, said, "He began his career as a
>Republican operative in his native Guam, serving as spokesman for
>Guam's Republican Party and as chief of staff for Sen. Tommy Tanaka, a
>pro-life Republican legislator."  It certainly adds an element of
>political intrigue to the whole story.

Those evil Republicans are at it again.  Must be the Great Right Wing
Conspiracy.  Sigh.  Is this outfit so rinky-dink that they'll only allow
investors who are as rabidly partisan as the hosts?