Air America--ever in Boston?

Bob raccoonradio@myway.com
Thu Jun 17 14:14:37 EDT 2004

Will Air America ever get an affiliate in Boston? Some say it would just be preaching to the converted, given the huge liberal audience here, but wouldn't many of these folks WANT to hear this, and to buy the products advertised? Who knows what station would want to carry one or several AA shows...

I will say I heard a bit of AA while up in Vermont, on Burlington's WVTK (1070). Ironic that there's a classic country station up there, WVAA 1390, that would have the perfect call letters for this network: We're Vermont's Air America. But as it is they probably chose those calls because it was "All American Country"). Anyway, it was the last few minutes of "The O'Franken Factor". Al and his co-host were talking to Bob Weir of Grateful Dead fame. Then Al told a story about taking his daughter to see New Kids back in the early 90s, and a caller got on saying "You're our last hope!"

(Of course, AA isn't the only left-of-center media out there: NPR;
"Democracy Now!", NY Times, Boston Globe, and many broadcast and cable networks have a liberal bias just as the likes of most talk radio, and Fox News Channel (and broadcast channel) are tilted right.

The caller asked if Al was going to continue to call his show "The O'Franken Factor". "Well, we chose that name to goad O'Reilly," he admitted. "You ought to call it 'Franken Sense'," said the caller.

"Actually we were thinking of calling it 'Franken Sense and Mirth'," said Al, who did a bit on it in a New York-ese Jewish accent (think Jackie Mason, in some ways). "Well, we'll probably change the name of the show eventually."

Franken's voice at times was a bit too low-key compared to most talk
hosts, though the presence of his female co-host, together with his
"doing voices" and comedy shtick helped. While I'm right of center on many issues, I'd think AA could work in Boston. And I'd be willing to listen, as long as they do an interesting program. As long as they tolerate all viewpoints and don't allow only liberal callers on. It's interesting to hear opposing views heard, and Al (and the others) have a chance to then offer their views as a counter-point. The conservative talk hosts do this; granted, they often would make fun of a liberal caller or guest (think Bruce Frederich of PETA on Howie's show) but the views DO get on there
(admittedly they might be shouted down by the host, though...)

And I find it interesting that while the Dem. convention will be taking place in Boston, and AA might do shows from there, you'll be unable to hear it here (I thought WSNH 900 in southern NH was to pick it up but when I tune in to them I hear oldies???)

PS--I will say that some feel the network exists to help swing the election to the Democrats, and they probably feel Mass. is safely in Kerry's hands...but is that true? Would this network's raison d'etre be simply "We want to win the '04 election?"