WGIR 610 AM - unforgivable mistakes during Red Sox broadcasts...

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Wed Jun 16 15:43:51 EDT 2004

francini@mac.com wrote:

>Once more, I apologize to everyone on the list who thought
>I might have gone "over the top" in my frustration.

I, for one didn't think you went over the top.  Imagine your
opinion of a restaurant making that many mistakes during
your meal.  Especially one that always was "top-notch" before.
I'm sure you would be telling all your friends about it.  And
not in glowing terms, either.

I also think that blaming the automation equipment is a
small cop-out.  If things are in development and they aren't
101% sure that it's programmed properly, then a "prudent"
engineering strategy would be to have a live operator running
the air board while the automation system is monitored for
proper operation.  When it fully mimics the live board op,
then and only then should it be allowed to run the game.

And for extra insurance, for the next couple of games, I'd
have a live op running a manual board in tandem.  First
screw-up - switch to manual and keep on going.  Correct the
automation and possibly switch back.  All the while taking
notes and correcting the automation programming.  But to just
say "Looks OK, let's hope it works OK tonight," is courting
disaster and definitely NOT professional.

Pro-active, not re-active is the way to go.

my $0.02 (and candidate for mini-rant)