Numbers for call letter signs?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 14:46:20 EDT 2004

> Those are not translators.  The numbers you see are
> facility ID
> numbers.  In the FCC database, the "callsign" for
> new facilities is
> generally filled in with either the application
> reference number, or
> the text "NEW", until a callsign is applied for.

Oh, OK; thanks Garrett and Sid! Yes I figured they may
have been reference numbers for the FCC database
but I thought maybe the FCC had changed the "call
sign" rules for translators. So once the calls
are applied for and then granted, they would be like
W242AA(FM), the WGBH translator at 96.3 or
W267AI(FM), the WFNX translator at 101.3 (in terms
of a letter, three numbers, and then two more
letters) in the call signs...

By the way I noticed that 100000watts.com wasn't
listing the aforementioned (WGBH, WFNX) translators
anymore