WATD coverage

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jun 2 10:51:02 EDT 2004

<<On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:27:18 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com> said:

> I understand the overload problem, and that is a problem with some
> of my table radios, but I can't get WATD in the FM band on my Sony
> 2010 radio, which us a quality communications receiver, and that
> surprises me.

Sony FM tuners are almost uniformly crap.  (And I say that as a steady
customer and happy owner of many pieces of Sony kit.)  This certainly
includes the FM tuner in the 2010, although it is better than many
other Sony products; it has very poor selectivity and is prone to
front-end overload.  Probably if the IF filters were replaced (Sony
likes to put 230-kHz filters in their tuners) it would be an OK tuner.

-GAWollman