does channel 5 know FCC rules

Dave Faneuf tklaundry@juno.com
Sat Jul 31 15:48:15 EDT 2004

Gary wrote:
"I'm beginning to wonder.  For the second time in a few days NewsCenter5
(at
6) was quoting what they said was "police transmissions we are
monitoring".
Isn't there still a law that says you can listen to police and other
private
communciations, but cannot repeat them (or has that law been done away
with).  I know some years ago a local newsman in Lowell got in big
trouble
for repeating on air what he heard on the scanner."

Not only is it illegal, is it just plan sloppy and lazy journalism.  As
someone
who has listened to police calls for decades, I can vouch for the fact
that many of
them are bogus.  You never never never go on the air with anything you
hear on the
scanner without another source backing up the information.  Someone at
Channel 5
should be fired.
Dave
PS.  I don't remember the incident in Lowell,  email me off list and fill
me in.