does channel 5 know FCC rules

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sat Jul 31 13:00:22 EDT 2004

Roger writes:
> Is this the law that the Cell Phone Industry asked for to
> give cell phone users a false sense of security about their
> conversations?

We use UHF band 2 ways on the EMT squad here.  We all assume that everything we
are saying is being monitored by many people.  (And we may be right.)  So, we
rarely give full names of patients and even go by "Tech" numbers when speaking
to one another.  It's considered our fault if we breach confidentiality, not the
scanner listener who relates it.   Cells are intended for privacy (although are
not).  Similarly, I don't give out private info on the cell or say too much that
could be a breach.

Bill O'Neill
Shoreham, Vt.