What they heard on CNN

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Jul 31 00:31:10 EDT 2004

At 12:09 AM 7/31/2004, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>I watched what parts of the convention I did watch on C-SPAN, and
>occasionally listened to David Brudnoy on WBZ (who was apparently on
>C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" this morning).  I don't see any reason
>why these events should be covered on broadcast television, and maybe
>even the cable "news" networks.  It's a perfect fit for the C-SPAN
>crowd (and I would note that C-SPAN also carried the -- much shorter
>-- Libertarian and Green Party conventions), and of very little
>relevance to the rest of the populace.  Hopefully, next time the
>networks (if they cover the thing at all) will only cover one night.

That said, it was frustrating - and then some - to be driving into Omaha
last night and not be able to find even ONE local station carrying Kerry's
acceptance speech.

Not KFAB - it was carrying Michael Savage commenting on (er, attacking)
Kerry's speech. Not its news-talk competitor KKAR - it was carrying Sean
Hannity commenting on (attacking) Kerry's speech. Not NPR affil KIOS-FM -
it was running BBC World Service.

Ended up listening through the static and skywave fading to KOMA from
Oklahoma City.

I'm not saying radio had to carry the whole thing - but to have two
"news-talk" stations carrying the same brand of commentary ON an event in
lieu of the event itself wasn't particularly a public service.