does channel 5 know FCC rules

Mark Laurence mlaurence@mindspring.com
Fri Jul 30 21:19:31 EDT 2004

On Friday, July 30, 2004, at 08:56  PM, Dan Billings wrote:

> [...]

The law in question is quoted on this website:

http://www.police-scanner.info/introscan.htm

"It is illegal to disclose information you hear [on a scanner] to other
persons. "

That's how I remember it from my newsgathering days of quite a whiile
ago.  You had to confirm anything you heard on a scanner from an
outside source before you could broadcast the information.  It's not
just illegal to broadcast it, it's illegal to tell the information to
anyone at all.  It's not an FCC rule, it's federal law.  There's a link
on that page to the entire relevant law, if anybody wants to slog
through all of that.

Mark