Things I didn't know...

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jul 20 19:52:33 EDT 2004

...that I learned while reading old issues of Broadcasting+Telecasting
magazine, from back in the days when it had a clue.

In a 1948 issue, I learned that WMAR in Baltimore was returning its CP for
WMAR(AM), which was to have been 1 kw fulltime on...drumroll please...850.
The station's owners were thinking ahead and focusing their efforts on
WMAR-TV and WMAR-FM.

So this now becomes primarily a Dan Strassberg question: did this help
clear the way for the ill-fated WXKW 850 in Albany? It certainly paved the
way for the station that would become WAYE, a kilowatt daytimer in
Baltimore on 860 (now WBGR).

I assume WMAR(FM) would have been DA-N, since it would certainly have had
to protect KOA and probably WHDH as well. Was the 850 (later WNIS) in
Norfolk there yet?

Also a Boston tidbit from 1951: CBS apparently had a deal, never
consummated, to buy WRTB (channel 2 in Waltham) from Raytheon. AFAIK, WRTB
never came on the air as such; the CP eventually passed to WGBH and it
signed on in 1954.