Three Items

Peter Murray pete@partnercomm.com
Fri Jul 16 10:40:43 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Laurence Glavin wrote:

[snip]
> 2:  The Newton denial link seemed to indicate that
> the effective radiated power was 95KW, days anyway;
> I have a question of the technical
> types:  do WCBS and WFAN in NYC/City Island
> generate anything like 100KW?  Is RF much
> greater than a certain neighborhood in Lodi, NJ?
[snip]

The ERP in the directional lobe(s) can be many dB above their TPO. WCBS
and WFAN are each 50KW omnidirectional.

AM stations are measured by TPO, not ERP, to my recollection (the reverse
is the case for FM, where omnidirectional gain is practical).

I remember reading (somewhere - I want to attribute it to Scott Fybush or
Garrett Wollman, but Google didn't help me find it) that WBZ, with 50KW
TPO into its 2-tower directional array, develops about 128KW ERP to 270
degrees (and about 2KW to 90 degrees).

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA