LaPierre's Lips On The Loose

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Jul 15 21:19:37 EDT 2004

>>Millions will be fed into the economy of all of Greater Boston.<<

Just about every economic analyst who's been interviewed by the media lately pegs this as a loss...a HUGE loss...for the local economy.  The millions being fed in by the convention are more than compensated for by the millions in lost productivity, closed businesses, re-routing of traffic and extra security.  (They need so many police here for convention week that other states are shipping officers in...and they don't work for free.)  Last figure I saw was a $50 million net LOSS to the economy.

With the political conventions more irrelevant than ever, who needs this headache?  I don't know about you, but I have to work that week.  I don't have the luxury of taking Mumbles' advice to stay home.  Is he or the City of Boston going to compensate us for all of it somehow?  Easy for him to say "stay home that week"...let him put his (the city's) money where his marble-filled mouth is.

The city visible from the USS Constitution is about to become an armed fortress full of out-of-towners screaming, getting drunk and ratifying what we've known since sometime in April, all for the sake of an irrelevant exercise stretched over four days.  Is it all going to be worth it?

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI AM/FM-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor