A look back to 1991

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jul 12 22:54:14 EDT 2004

>As Scott recalls (correctly)--
>IIRC, Upton was already gone from BZ by then. When I signed on in the
>spring of 1992, the schedule looked like this:
>
>5-10 AM WBZ Morning News - Gary LaPierre/Peter Meade/Gil Santos
>10-noon Tom Bergeron
>noon-1 WBZ Noon News - Jacquie Goddard/Deb Lawler (I think)
>1-3 Tom Bergeron (who'd been doing People Are Talking from 12:30-1 on
>WBZ-TV in the meantime)
>3-7 WBZ Afternoon News - Anthony Silva/Diane Stern/Tom Cuddy sports
>7-midnight David Brudnoy (Darrell Gould on news)
>midnight-5 AM Bob Raleigh

WBZ evolved in gradual stages toward all-News.  They began cutting back on
music in the mid 1980s, expanding afternoon drive into a news magazine in
December of 1985 with the team of Anthony Silva and Diane Stern.  Brudnoy
came over to WBZ in 1986.  I believe the final time the station played
music at all was in 1991, because in January of 1992 WBZ announced to the
local newspapers and other media that they were in the process of
officially becoming an all-news station, a process they completed in late
September of 1992.