A look back to 1991

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Mon Jul 12 22:20:24 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:58:35 +0000, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> WEEI's first lineup was Andy Moes in the morning, then Dale Arnold and
> Eddie Andleman at 10 and Glenn Ordway and Janet Prensky at 2 and Craig
> Mustarf at night.
>
> Nobody thought that format would last in Boston.. Now they maybe the
> biggest cash cow in town.

I remember Upton Bell's famous quote... "Within a year they'll (WEEI) be off the
air."

Remember, it was Eddie's hiring that precipitated the flip to sports. The
station was built around him.

I believe at the time WEEI was only the sixth or seventh station in the country
to go all-sports -- WFAN had only flipped three years before, WIP a tad more
recently. The naysayers had reason to believe all-sports could flop.

If there ever was a market for all-sports to succeed, it'd be this one.