A look back to 1991

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Mon Jul 12 18:08:15 EDT 2004

> What we didn't know at the time was it would mean the end of WHDH.

As we made the biannual trek home from SE Ohio to VT last night, I was thinking
of the former heritage WHDH.  There has not been any station that has even come
close to filling the loss of WHDH radio.  WHDH and WBZ was a synergistic
presence in the full service AC market for Greater Boston.  WHDH seemed to take
itself just a little less seriously.  Even the "85 HDH" imaging seemed to
clearly reflect a confidence that WHDH listeners knew who they were listening to
and didn't need a formal reminder every 12 minutes.

<harp SFX> My first opportunity to jock an HDH shift, I recall my first HDH
Cashcall.  I'm frantically dialing the designated number, tape rolling.  An
older guy answers from Peabody, I think.  "Hi, it's Bill O'Neill calling from
WHDH radio in Boston.  Are you familiar with HDH radio?"  The guy pauses, as if
to look at his phone and says, "Buddy, are you nuts? HDH? Who doesn't know HDH?
What do you want?" Deservedly whacked, I ask him for the amount in the HDH
Cashcall (and save his answer for PB.)  I think he missed it but it was clear by
his response that he was on the trail for the right answer, clearly a listener
to WHDH.  (Side note: That was my first shot on HDH after many non-jock duties.
I will be forever grateful for that 5:15 a.m. call from Chuck Igo giving me a
well-needed ataboy phone call from Maine to keep going until nine.)  Some things
you just never forget.  Even in this business.

Bill O'Neill