WNNW 800 (Do they ever change to night power anymore?)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Wed Jan 28 16:59:34 EST 2004

>DATE: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:37:17
>From: "Jeff Lehmann" <jjlehmann@comcast.net>
>To: <bri@bostonradio.org>

>Over the past couple weeks, I have noticed that 800 WNNW in Lowell has
>remained very strong at night. Normally, I would receive CJAD Montreal
>or CKLW Windsor, ON.
>
>Didn't WNNW have trouble shutting down at night a few years ago when
>they were on 1110 as well?
>
>Jeff Lehmann
>Hanson, MA

I'm the great keeper of the WNNW flame for the past couple
of years;  WNNW-AM 800 is in Lawrence not Lowell,
thus it's not far from my home.  When AM 800 was WCCM, many have
posted to this board that they doubted AM 800 was powering
down at night, but when I've meticulously checked the
station out with my receiver that shows relative signal
strength of AM's in my area, I could observe a very
small movement of the dial leftward.  Also, it seemed WGY-AM 810
was easier to receive.  I haven't performed this maneuver
for a while since WNNW took over the frequency, so I'll
have to do so soon.
When WNNW was in Salem, NH on 1110, they regularly
signed on all late fall and early winter before 5:30 when I
awake from my so-far effective beauty sleep.  Now, as WCEC-AM 1110,
the outlet has been totally legal all fall and winter,
signing on after I leave for work because WBT Charlotte
comes in like a local at that time (they claim a big football
game is scheduled for this weekend...it's almost February, shouldn't
football be over?)

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA