Channel 38 and CBS?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 27 22:28:08 EST 2004

At 10:12 PM 1/27/2004 -0500, Sean Smyth wrote:
>I wrote:
><< Any reason why Channel 38 is showing CBS programming this evening? I
>was looking to my 10 p.m. fix of news. >>
>
>It took a few seconds for the odometer to click and realize, yes, this
>was primary night.
>
>But as Scott said in another message ... the networks are doing
>virtually nothing on this. I guess having a sister station to bail out
>of programming for helps encourage WBZ to do such pre-empting but I'm
>still surprised they'd blow out their regular programming and not put
>the primary coverage on Channel 38 instead.

I think it's a defensible decision - the news image is channel 4's, not
channel 38's, and it's not as though Tuesday is a particularly strong
lineup for CBS.

As channel 38's "superstation" reach has diminished, the number of homes
like Sean's that get 38 but not 4 has got to be pretty minimal (IIRC, Sean
gets it only because he's on a goofy Penn State master antenna/satellite
system) - I know 38 is still on cable in Burlington VT, but it's long gone
anywhere in upstate NY. Does Maine still get 38? Connecticut?