NH Primary over-the-air coverage disappoints

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 27 22:05:05 EST 2004

News junkie that I am, and NH Primary junkie in particular (remember, I cut
my radio news teeth at WCAP during the Year of Tsongas), I've spent most of
the evening in front of the computer with C-SPAN blaring away on the TV,
flipping around a bit to CNN and MSNBC. It's been fun watching WMUR's coverage.

But about 9:30 I had to go downstairs to the kitchen for a bit (OK, yes, I
hadn't had dinner yet.) I don't have cable in the kitchen, so first thing I
did was to flip 'round the broadcast dial. Nothing - even as John Kerry was
making his celebratory speech. Not even on NBC, which allegedly was to be
doing an hour from 9-10 on the primary (it somehow turned into a bunch of
Dateline repeats.)

Next stop - the radio. You'd think, out of five local stations doing news
and talk, that I could find SOMETHING, right? Nope - WHAM is running
Michael Savage on tape-delay. WROC 950 is running someone else on tape
delay. WYSL 1040's in the AP All News wheel. WHTK 1280 is in ESPN Radio.
And even my local NPR, WXXI 1370, isn't carrying NPR coverage - it's doing
the usual rebroadcast of Bob Smith's talk show from earlier in the day.

Pull out the 2010 and see what the skywaves are bringing in. First stop, of
course, is 1030 - but they're doing Bruins. (C'mon, guys, you can't bump
the game to WODS once every four years???) WCBS? In the newswheel, doing
sports. WBBM? Ditto. I finally ended up, of all places, on WBT from
Charlotte, which was carrying the Kerry speech.

I feel bad for any news junkies without cable or satellite tonight...I sure
hope local viewers/listeners in New England have some better choices than I
do. (Indeed, I see from their websites that NHPR and WBUR are doing live
coverage, and I would hope the WGIR network is, too, though I can't tell
from their website, which still includes a link to "name the new Manchester
baseball team." How about the Fisher Cats?)