Transmitters & Temp

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 26 23:52:20 EST 2004

At 10:17 PM 1/26/2004 -0500, Bill O'Neill wrote:
>Is there a temp at which transmitters become too cold to keep on crankin'?  I
>know that most units generate their own heat, coupled with auxiliary
>heaters in
>transmitter shacks.  Also, how about units without finals as heat generators.
>Does that mean the need for a beefier aux heating system?
>
>Bill O'Neill
>-11F, Shoreham, Vt. <teeth chattering sfx>

We're at a balmy minus 11 here too...Celsius, that is. (+12 F). Nicest
conditions we've had in a couple of weeks. Just about to put on a pair of
shorts and go for a jog 'round the block.

As for transmitters, cold usually just isn't an issue; transmitters - even
solid-state ones - get nice and toasty inside when they're running. Heat is
a much bigger issue.

Most transmitter sites are air-conditioned pretty extensively in the
summer, and in the winter they have vents to let in the cool outside air.