Network shows that Boston was home

Paul Hopfgarten paul@03038.com
Sun Jan 25 14:31:58 EST 2004

OK, 1961...I was 3, and not really tuning into a whole lot of TV in those
days <G>

I do remember March 19 1972 very well, I actually got up early to watch the
saign-on for the brand new WCVB and thought the new logo was cool....of
course, 32 years later, well.....

-Paul Hopfgarten
-East Derry NH (Randolph MA in'72)

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org]On Behalf
Of A. Joseph Ross
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 12:40 PM
To: paul@03038.com; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: RE: Network shows that Boston was home

On 25 Jan 2004 at 9:08, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> I'm not quite old enough to remember Ch 5 carrying NBC and ABC shows in
> there WHDH incarnation. (Wasn't Ch 5 always CBS as WHDH pre 1972?).

No, they were originally affiliated with ABC, and Channel 7 was CBS.
Sometime around
1961, they became a CBS affiliate, and Channel 7 became ABC.

For some reason, when WCVB replaced WHDH-TV on Channel 5, CBS decided to
switch
their affiliation back to Channel 7.  This was considered a blow to WCVB at
the time, since
ABC was always the third network, but a few years later, ABC became Number
One in the
national ratings.