Network shows that Boston was home

Paul Hopfgarten paul@03038.com
Sun Jan 25 09:08:48 EST 2004

I'm not quite old enough to remember Ch 5 carrying NBC and ABC shows in
there WHDH incarnation. (Wasn't Ch 5 always CBS as WHDH pre 1972?).

What I remember more often is Ch 38 (WSBK) and Ch 56 (then WKBG) carrying
numerous shows from all three networks..

My TV Guide of 1970 or so might show Chs 10-38 carrying an NBC show and Chs
12-56 a CBS one for example (I do seem to recall that NBC on 38 was the most
common, while CBS and ABC shows could've been on either 38 or 56)

By the time Ch 62 (WMFP) came on the air in the early 90's as a secondary
NBC affil, Ch 4 (WBZ-stll NBC then) simply wasn't pre-empting network fare
like all 3 Boston VHFs used to do.

-Paul Hopfgarten
-East Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org]On Behalf
Of A. Joseph Ross
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 2:11 AM
To: Kevin Vahey; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Network shows that Boston was home

On 24 Jan 2004 at 19:00, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> Channel 5 BTW was the home of the Tonight Show for years as WBZ was
> forced to take Group W offerings at night instead of NBC.

Channel 5 (WHDH-TV) carried a number of NBC and CBS shows back in those days
which
were not carried by their regular affiliates.  They carried NBC shows Tic
Tac Dough, Huntley-
Brinkley News, and Meet the Press, among others, and they carried CBS's
evening news
with Douglas Edwards.  And, for the first year that Channel 5 was on the
air, the Mickey
Mouse Club, an ABC show, continued to be shown on Channel 7.

In fact, before Channel 5 came on the air, Channel 2 carried Meet the Press
and the Huntley-
Brinkley News, with commercials blanked.