(Fwd) CBS Censors Winning Ad

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sun Jan 25 02:11:18 EST 2004

On 24 Jan 2004 at 9:19, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> >During this year's Super Bowl, you'll see ads sponsored by beer
> >companies, tobacco companies, and the Bush White House.(1)  But you won't
> >see the winning ad in MoveOn.org Voter Fund's Bush in 30 Seconds ad
> >contest.  CBS refuses to air it.(2) It looks an awful lot like CBS is
> >playing politics with the right to free speech.

So take a look at the ad on their site.  I didn't find it offensive.  But then, I agree with its
sentiments.

> Funny how these organizations will shout down anyone who opposes their
> viewpoints, but when it's their side that's suppressed it's suddenly a
> free speech issue and they start screaming "censorship".  If I'm not
> mistaken the courts have ruled again and again that "free speech" laws
> only pertain to --government-- restriction thereof, not by private
> parties.

But the problem is that, with media consolidation, it becomes much harder to get dissenting
ads aired.  Funny how the Republicans pushed media consolidation, and the result is to
silence discussion which opposes their positions.