(Fwd) CBS Censors Winning Ad

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Sat Jan 24 09:19:24 EST 2004

At 01:24 AM 1/24/04 -0500, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>I've got this message from MoveOn.  I thought people here would be
>interested in it.
>
>During this year's Super Bowl, you'll see ads sponsored by beer companies,
>tobacco companies, and the Bush White House.(1)  But you won't see the
>winning ad in MoveOn.org Voter Fund's Bush in 30 Seconds ad contest.  CBS
>refuses to air it.(2)
>It looks an awful lot like CBS is playing
>politics with the right to free speech.
>
>Of course, this is bigger than just the MoveOn.org Voter Fund.  People for
>the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) submitted an ad that was also
>rejected.(4)  But this isn't even a progressive-vs.-conservative issue.
>The airwaves are publicly owned, so we have a fundamental right to hear
>viewpoints from across the ideological spectrum.  That's why we need to
>let CBS know that this practice of arbitrarily turning down ads that may
>be "controversial" -- especially if they're controversial simply because
>they take on the President -- just isn't right.

I've never heard of this organization, but imho CBS has the right to reject
any ads they wish.  Maybe they should have also put a link to email CBS
directly...or are they afraid that their protest may be overwhelmed with
support for CBS's position?  If this group's tactics are even half as
offensive and filled with half-truths (or outright lies) as PETA's, then
I'm on CBS's side.

Funny how these organizations will shout down anyone who opposes their
viewpoints, but when it's their side that's suppressed it's suddenly a free
speech issue and they start screaming "censorship".  If I'm not mistaken
the courts have ruled again and again that "free speech" laws only pertain
to --government-- restriction thereof, not by private parties.

Another example of a far fringe organization trying to claim persecution
where none exists.

Flame on...