Boston Globe / Living / Arts / As GM, her job is to pump up sports talk and hard rock

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Jan 23 03:40:28 EST 2004

>it was said--
>Maybe someone should invite Clea to become a member of this list!
>
>She could learn a lot about her beat!  ;-)

In fairness to Clea, I know her and she's a very sweet person, but radio
was never her beat until Susan B got moved over to covering women's
sports.   I am not trying to make excuses for Clea, but her problem has
more to do with the Globe than with not caring about or not knowing about
her beat.  Clea is only a part-time writer for the Globe and while in years
past the media columnists were all full-time, to save money, the Globe cut
back on radio columns and cut back on the person who writes them.  Since
she is only asked to write these columns on a sporadic basis, and since
there isn't a lot of commitment from the Globe to make it a regular beat,
she has difficulty keeping up with it.  On the other hand, why not drop
Clea a note and make your corrections-- she won't mind, I assure you.  I
think that Dean Johnson, who is a full-time reporter at the Herald, has a
much easier time keeping up with the latest radio news-- it's tough to be
plugged into the local scene when you are doing occasional articles from
home and are usually restricted to 800 words...